Hayward Pool Pump SP3400VSP Huge Energy Savings for You

Hayward Pool Pump
Hayward Pool Pump

The Hayward Pool Pump SP3400VSP is the industry's most energy-efficient variable-speed pump, thanks to a super-efficient permanent magnet, totally enclose fan-cooled (TEFC) motor, and industry-leading hydraulic design. Tests prove that EcoStar can save pool owners up to 90% on energy costs compared to ordinary single-speed pumps. EcoStar can match pump speed to a pool's needs, versus running at full power 100% of the time.

Features:
  • Industry-leading hydraulic design, super-efficient permanent magnet motor saves up to $1,500* in energy costs year after year
  • Revolutionary digital control interface rotates to four different positions on the pump or can be wall mounted
  • Quiet by design
  • Compliant with energy-efficiency regulations such as Title 20 and APSP-15
  • Fully programmable, self-contained 24-hour time clock with up to eight custom speed and timer functions
  • No additional controller or time clock needed 
  • SRVS model complies with ASME A112.19.17
Savings compared to a single-speed pump running 12 hours per day on a 20,000 gallon pool at an average electrical rate of $0.15/kWh. Actual savings may vary based on comparison pump model, hours of operation, electrical rate, and other hydraulic aspects such as plumbing size and length.

Pump Control & Programming

After first experimenting with using this pump with my existing pool pump system controller I determined that my existing system really did not offer the level of control I wanted. I switched to using the built in pump timer and controller.

The built in control is easy to use and offers the ability to program 8 different time schedules, each operating at a different speed. I use all 8 to operate my pump for about 18 hours a day.



Hayward Pool Pump
Hayward Pool Pump SP3400VSP
Energy efficiency

The Hayward Pool Pump with EcoStar provides a built in watt meter. Although I do not know if it really provides accurate watt measures it does allow you to understand how significantly you will effect power use as you turn up the pump RPM.

Previously I was operating my pool pump between 4-8 hours a day depending on the time of year and pool use. According to my TED 5000 power meter the old pump used about 2000 watts of electricity. At an average of 6 hrs per day, 30 days a month (360kwh) and a cost of $.30/kwh for peek power rates the old pump cost me $100/month to operate. After switching to the EcoStar and settling on a timer+speed schedule that works well I have dropped my power use to less than 100kwh/month or roughly $25/month. This gives me a savings of $75/month so in just over a year I have paid for the pump cost in electricity savings.

Water Quality

Since I now run my pump much longer, going from 6 hours to 18 hours, the water is almost always circulating and very clean. I found that by varying the pump speed throughout the day with most of the time spent running 800-1200 RPM, with a couple of brief intervals between 1400-1700 the water is extremely clear. It also seems that it is easy to keep the water quality balanced.

Noise level


At the highest speed the Hayward Pool Pump with EcoStar seems slightly quieter than my old pump. However I never operate it at the highest speed. In fact I programmed the pump to never exceed 2400 RPM. My pump is installed in a small pool house and the vast majority of the time the pump runs at a low enough speed that it is inaudible from the pool area.

Related Post



Post a Comment